1. Don't tempt a thief
- Always lock your garden sheds and garages.
- Use curtains on garage and basement windows.
- Never leave notes on your door such as "Gone shopping" / "Out of Station".
2. Locks... Get the best
No lock, regardless of its quality, can be truly effective. Key-in-lock knobs provide minimum security. Ask a locksmith for advice on your situation.
Change locks immediately if your keys are lost or stolen.
When moving into a new home, have all locks changed.
Have adequate exterior lighting. A motion-sensitive light is recommended for backyards.
Trim trees and shrubs so that they cannot be used as hiding places for intruders.
- Make sure your door hinges are on the inside.
- An outside grill-door or collasible gate with locking-arrangements for the entry doors would effectively prevent, even forcible entry.
- Avoid door and window combination (mostly kept in main entry) the nearest shutter of the window if opened, gives scope for un-locking main door by inserting hand etc.,
- Use of cross-bar inside would strengthen security.
- Locks should not be visible from outside like pad-locks-keep, in built locks.
- keep adequate interior lighting to simulate presence of inmates.
- Do not leave keys of almairahs conspicuously.
- Most windows can be pinned for security.
- Drill a 3 inch / 16 inch hole on a slight downward slant through the inside window frame and halfway into the outside frame-place a nail in the hole to secure the window.
- Grills are vulnerable since they are fixed to the frame by screws. Fix them in the walls through the window frame.
- Fix grill or cross-bars similar to windows to prevent entry.
7. Drainage & water pipes
- Do not keep gap between wall and pipe to prevent scaling..
An alarm system is excellent for home security. It provides peace of mind to home owners, especially while on vacation. There is a wide variety of alarm systems on the market. Make several enquiries to different companies for the best security system available to you.